Spiders and Silk
Did you know that all spiders possess the same amazing skill? Tune in with Claire to learn about their awesome ability and find out how to make a silk-climbing spider with the help of a simple template.
Make your own silk-climbing spider!
Now that you know a little more about spiders and their silk, you can make your own silk-climbing spider. For this activity you will need:
- Spider body template. You can draw your own or download one here.
- Colouring in pencils or crayons
- Drinking straw
- Sticky tape
- Pipe cleaners
Watch the video for a step-by-step demonstration of these easy steps:
- You will need to make a spider – remember it has two body parts. Colour in and cut out the spider body.
- Cut a piece of straw the same length as the spider body. Sticky tape a piece of straw to the spider’s body.
- Make some legs from pipe cleaners.
- Attach them to the cephalothorax.
- Now take a longish piece of string, fold it in half and thread the looped end through the straw.
- Loop or attach little pieces of straw to the ends so that the ends don’t get lost.
- Now put the looped end of the string over your head.
- Pull the two strings apart. Your spider is climbing up the silk to escape a predator!
Make your own spider, create video or photo and post online with the tag #QMNetwork #museumathome for us to share!